Join Us for Fireside Chats – A Free Virtual Event Series
The second talk in this series of Colorado Women’s Hall of Fame Fireside Chats features Inductees Juana Bordas, and Lily Nie with introduction by Lauren Casteel
“Leadership in a Multicultural World”
June 10, 2021 from 5:30 – 6:30 pm.
The event is free to attend, but you must register on Eventbrite:
About Juana Bordas
Juana Bordas immigrated to the US from Nicaragua on a banana boat. The first in her family to complete college, she joined the Peace Corps and worked in Santiago, Chile. Juana later received the US Peace Corps’ Franklin Williams Award for her life-long commitment to advancing communities of color. Juana is a founding President of the National Hispana Leadership Institute and the first Latina faculty at the Center for Creative Leadership. She served as a trustee for the Greenleaf Center for Servant Leadership, the International Leadership Association, and Union University.
In 2009 the Denver Post and Colorado Women’s Foundation named her Colorado Unique Woman of the Year. The Power of Latino Leadership won the prestigious 2013 Nautilus Prize for best multicultural book and the International Latino Book Award for best leadership book. Juana’s first book Salsa, Soul, and Spirit: Leadership for a Multicultural Age is considered seminal work on multicultural leadership
About Lily Nie
Lily Nie created the Chinese Children Charity Fund in 1995 to raise money to feed and care for the children in Chinese orphanages. The charity opened 11 model orphanages in China called Lily Orphan Care Centers and established a training program for orphanage care workers. When Chinese policy changed to make foster care possible, the charity pioneered a foster care program to train families and place hundreds of children out of orphanages and into loving foster homes in China.
In 1996, Nie opened the Joyous Chinese Cultural School in Littleton to teach adopted children their native language and culture. The school has become a national model for cultural education. She helped to create the Red Thread Counseling Center, the first in the U.S. to provide emotional support to adopted children and their families. Nie’s China Roots program sponsors heritage tours to China for adoptive families and children.
Lily Nie’s groundbreaking work in adoption in Colorado paved the way for a national movement that has brought more than 80,000 adopted Chinese children to new lives in the United States.
About Lauren Casteel
Lauren Y. Casteel is president and CEO of The Women’s Foundation of Colorado (WFCO), the only statewide community foundation focused on economic security of women and their families. She is known nationally for her leadership in and dedication to excellence and inclusivity in philanthropy
Prior to joining WFCO in 2015, Lauren served at The Denver Foundation for 16 years as vice president of philanthropic partnerships and vice president of donor services. Many civil rights, business, government, and media entities have recognized Lauren’s career contributions, including the Anti-Defamation League Mountain States Region, League of Women Voters, Colorado Women’s Chamber of Commerce, the Girl Scouts, AAUW, the Denver Mayor, the Mountain Region Black Economic Summit, and Denver Urban Spectrum.
Lauren is a frequent speaker, moderator, and panelist.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
Presenting Sponsor for Fireside Chat Series 2021
Grit & Grace Sponsor for next two Fireside events
Sponsoring Leadership in a Multicultural World June 10, & Girls in Space October 20, 2021
Denver7 - Media Sponsor
Trinity Partners - Grit & Grace Sponsor
Sponsor for Fireside Chat #2: “Leadership in a Multi-Cultural World”
June 10, 2021
Boettcher Foundation - Grit & Grace Sponsor
Sponsor for Fireside Chat#1:
“A new Era of Politics”
March 11, 2021
Alpine Bank - Grit & Grace Sponsor
Sponsor for Fireside Chat#2:
“Leadership in a Multi-Cultural World”
June 10, 2021
Mint Financial Strategies - Friends of the Hall Sponsor
These sponsorships covers the Entire Fireside Chat Series for 2021
Janus Henderson Investors - Friends of the Hall Sponsor
For Fireside Chat #1 March 11
“A New Era of Politics”
Gale Schoettler & Judy Wagner were featured in “A New Era of Politics” March 11, 2021
About Gail Schoettler
Gail Schoettler, a tireless advocate for women, is the first woman to serve as both Colorado’s State Treasurer (1987-1995) and Lieutenant Governor (1995-1999). As Lieutenant Governor, she negotiated the clean-up agreements for the Rocky Mountain Arsenal and Rocky Flats Nuclear Weapons Facility, saving billions of dollars. Graduating with honors from Stanford University with a BA in economics, she earned MA and PhD degrees in African History from the University of California, Santa Barbara. She has 3 children and 2 grandchildren. An avid hiker, she conquered her fear of heights to climb all 54 of Colorado’s 14’ers and Mt. Kilimanjaro in Tanzania. She is passionate about helping women run for political office and be successful in whatever they want to do.
Read Full Bio:
About Judi Wagner
Wagner was one of the founders of the Women’s Bank of Denver, opening in 1978; and she hired the first woman President and CEO of a bank in Colorado. Following this lead, other banks promoted women to management positions, where historically 80% of bank employees were women and less than 3% were in management. Wagner also elevated the status of women in politics by providing financial support and the strategic advice they needed to be successful. She co-founded Electing Women to support women running for political office. Six other states have adopted this program that raises funds for women running for Governor or U.S. Senate seats. In addition, Wagner co-founded the first center for women’s health research at a university in the US, The Center for Women’s Health Research, at the University of Colorado.
Gail and Judi have worked together for 45 years on many projects to help women. They started Electing Women Alliance in 2000 to raise money for pro-choice women running for high public office. Their partnership continues to elevate the status of women in Colorado and nationally
Sponsorships Available For FireSide Chat Series Below
For more information contact Beth Barela, Executive Director or Barb Beckner, CWHF Board Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org
Sponsorship benefits to be negotiated individually
Presenting Sponsor $7,500
Grit & Grace Sponsor $1,500
Friends of the Hall $500
- Classified as Presenting Sponsor for Fireside Chat events and listed as such on all promotional material
- *Pre recorded 30 second video advertisement during event
(ad provided by sponsor, ad may be changed for each event)
- Recognition & logo on year-long event promotions (digital program, website home page, website event page, social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram))
- Logo recognition during event
- Verbal acknowledgement during event
- Full-page advertisement in 3 digital event programs being sent to all event participants
- Logo included in Sponsor Panel in digital program
- Featured profile in all CWHF Elevate Newsletters
- Logo featured CWHF website: Home and Events page
- Sponsor recognition social media for pre-event on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Dedicated social media (post event) on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram
- Recognition & logo on specific event promotions (digital program, website event page, social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram))
- Logo recognition during event.
- Verbal acknowledgement during event.
- Half- page advertisement in digital event program for one event
- Logo included in Sponsor Panel in digital program
- Acknowledgement in CWHF Elevate Newsletter issue closest to the event.
- Logo featured on CWHF website on Events page (could be linked to sponsor website if desired) 6 months.
- Sponsor recognition social media for pre-event on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Dedicated social media (post event) on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram.
- Logo in CWHF “Elevate” newsletter
- Acknowledgement as one of the VIRTUAL EVENT Sponsors
- Recognition and logo on all event promotional materials that include a sponsor panel.
- Logo featured on CWHF’s website (cogreatwomen.org) for a duration of 10 months.
- Social media posts on CWHF’s social media platforms for Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
*Presenting Sponsor is responsible for providing their own pre-recorded video advertisement/clip.