CWHF Wins Two Awards for Season One Film Series of 'Great Colorado Women'
In March of 2018, we premiered a CWHF-produced film series featuring five Inductees on Rocky Mountain PBS. The category for Best Music Composition/Arrangement won the Heartland Emmy award for the film, “Saving the Soul of Denver” featuring CWHF Inductee Dana Crawford, a visionary preservationist and developer who worked to preserve historic downtown Denver. Hall Inductee Marilyn Van Derbur Atler’s Film, “An Incest Survivor’s Odyssey” won the Los Angeles Film Festival for Most Inspiring Woman in Film. Season one Links – Film Library Page
The Hall is extremely grateful for former Film and Board Chair and current executive producer Betty Heid, composer and pianist Lisa Downing, Rebecca Martinez, and Enchanted Road Productions Bill Ranshaw and Rick Higgins who handled production of these films and deserve this recognition.
Our First Season films of CWHF-produced“Colorado Great Women” can now be found at PBS.org! Read below for more information on viewing Season Two starting late February on Rocky Mountain PBS – our first in the series of five will feature Inductee Helen Bonfils.
About Our Film Initiative
Inductee legacies are critical to preserving the stories of our Inductees. The stories of women who helped shape the state of Colorado are difficult to find. We elevate those stories and we are continually expanding our Film Library
- To expand our film library, the Hall will continue to create engaging films of each inductee’s compelling story. These films will be available to schools, colleges, libraries and other organizations to assist in educating the people of Colorado of the struggles and achievements of our amazing women. The goal is to inspire all Coloradans to meet their own potential.
- These educational films will be available through our website as well as for public broadcast use. All films of inductees will be added to make our website more interactive and engaging. Help the Hall create, preserve and amplify their unique stories of struggle, accomplishment and wisdom. Read more about upcoming “Great Colorado Women”: Season Two on Rocky Mountain PBS
Rocky Mountain PBS and the Colorado Women’s Hall of Fame is back for season two series of the CWHF-produced “Great Colorado Women” channel 6 in Denver. The series will focus on historic and contemporary Colorado women and their little-known, under-reported achievements in a five-episode series in early 2019.
Season Two Schedule of “Great Colorado Women” Read bios:
- Feb. 28 – Helen Bonfils
- Mar. 21 – Arlene Hirschfeld
- Mar. 28 – Gudy Gaskill
- Apr. 4 – Doreen Pollack
- Apr. 11 – Babe Zaharias
Produced by the Colorado Women’s Hall of Fame (CWHF), the multi-season series will feature more than 100 women inducted into the Hall. These stories provide role models to remind women and girls; men and boys, that they can aspire higher to reach their dreams.
Click Links below to see Season One Colorado Women’s Hall of Fame Film Series on Vimeo.
The premier episode of this five-part Season I features the story of Marion Downs. By simply choosing to stand in the shortest line she could find to register at the University of Denver after WWII, Downs launched an amazing career, pioneered innovations in audiology, and is institutionalized through the Marion Downs Hearing Center at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center on the Anschutz Medical Campus, named in her honor.
Her story, along with four other CWHF amazing women, will air each Thursday evening for five weeks. Here’s the on-air line-up (scroll down to read more about each inductee):
NOTE: TO VIEW FILMS IN “CLOSED CAPTION” CLICK ON LINK BELOW, ONCE YOU ARE ON THE VIMEO SITE HOVER YOUR MOUSE OVER THE PLAY BAR AT THE BOTTOM OF VIDEO SCREEN AND SELECT “CC”.
- Marion Downs “Mother of Pediatric Audiology” Full Film: Marion Downs | Read More About Marion:
- Dana Crawford “Saving the Soul of Denver”
Full Film: Dana Crawford | Read More About Dana:
- Penny Hamilton “Penny the Pilot”Full Film: Penny Hamilton | Read More About Penny
- Jill Tietjen “Engineering Women Back into History” Full Film: Jill Tietjen | Read More About Jill:
- Marilyn Van Derbur Atler “An Incest Survivors Odyssey” Full Film: Marilyn Van Derbur Atler | Read More About Marilyn:
“So many women in the Hall are unsung heroes, hidden figures who have endured with superlative strength, beauty and love. They deserve absolute respect and acknowledgment,” says Betty Heid, CWHF’s Executive Producer of the series. “They are shining examples of the potential of all women. Their accomplishments are worthy of being emulated and have shaped history and transformed lives.”
Great Colorado Women draws on the historic, scientific, cultural, public policy, education, agriculture, healthcare, and social justice accomplishments of the current 152 women in the Colorado Women’s Hall of Fame.